5 INITIATIVES I USE TO LIMIT FOOD WASTE IN MY FAMILY
Category : Education
Food waste is everyone’s business.
According to an analysis carried out in 2011 by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), it’s estimated that the amount of food waste worldwide is 1.3 billion tonnes per year, 1,300 000 000 000 kilograms per year or about one third of the total production of foodstuffs intended for human consumption.
Our consumer society drives us to buy without limits, the objective being to fill our closets and refrigerators.
Managing your budget is often difficult and yet many households get rid of products that are no longer “consumable” for various reasons (outdated expiry dates, damaged food for conservation problems …).
Nevertheless we can act on a small scale namely in our homes.
So, I am telling you about 5 initiatives I have found to limit a little breakage in my home.
• I dose my food before cooking my dishes according to the number of people (cook 3kg of rice for 3 people is not necessary!
• In the evening before sleeping I put the leftover food in bowls and I reserve the fresh (refrigerator for the next day and freezer for several days). This avoids the loss of unnecessarily
• I don’t put the peels or peels of fruits and vegetables (organic preferably) in the trash and prefer to offer them to my plants in pot and / or in the garden. I do the same thing with the eggshells (always Bio) … which enrich the compost away pests and fertilize the soil.
• When we do the shopping we arrange the items in the order of the expiry dates (perishable foods in 4 to 8 days typical dairy products … or that quickly get damaged as fresh fruits and vegetables are placed in front of us when we open our closets and the refrigerator. Those whose date is much further away as dried products can go far behind.) Those who consume canned can do the same
• We eat fresh products first, before starting dried products (peas, rice, pasta, etc.), which generally have a longer shelf life
And don’t forget that it’s you who decide the changes in your life!
Stéphanie CALISTE MANETTE